Re: Force bash to start as administrator

Andrew,

The cygwin login has nothing to do with it.  I was not referring to the
fact that you don't need a password (which, by the way, is stored by
windows, and not in the passwd file).  Try replacing "login" by "bash",
and type "whoami" when the shell comes up.
	Igor
P.S. I don't know what Runas is, sorry.

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > Cary,
> >
> > Windows already has such a service. Try the following from your bash
> > prompt:
> >
> > $ at `date -d "next min" +"%H:%M"` /interactive
> > 'c:\cygwin\bin\login.exe' Administrator
> >
> > and wait at most 60 seconds.
> >
> > If you want an interactive login, omit the "Administrator" from the
> > line above. Not sure if you'll need password, either (I don't on my
> > W2K machine).
> > Igor
> > P.S. So much for Windows security, eh?
>
> Ah, wouldn't that be Cygwin's login that was responsible for the
> [non]security? I believe it didn't prompt you for a password because
> Administrator in your /etc/passwd didn't have a password.
>
> Why not simply use Runas?
>

> > On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com wrote:
> >
> >> You'll need a service to do this in Windows. Windows won't allow any
> >> account other than SYSTEM the permissions to impersonate another by
> >> default. System services run as SYSTEM by default. You can add a
> >> service which invokes 'login' so that the user can log in someone else.
> >> This has been discussed before on this list but setting this up goes
> >> something like this:
> >>
> >> Type this in a bash window:
> >> cygrunsrv -I LoginShell -d "Login shell" -p /usr/bin/cygstart -a
> >> /usr/bin/login -e "CYGWIN=tty binmode ntsec"
> >>
> >> Go to the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services
> >> Right click on "LoginShell" and go to properties.
> >> Go to the "Log On" tab and check the "Allow service to interact with
> >> desktop"
> >>
> >> Follow this with this in a bash window:
> >> cygrunsrv -S LoginShell
> >>
> >> This will give you a new console window with the login prompt. From here,
> >> you can log in as anybody, assuming you know the proper passwords. ;-)
> >>
> >> You should be able to use ssh to do this as well, which should be easier
> >> than going through the above gyrations.
> >>
> >> Obviously, all this assumes that you can install a service or that one is
> >> already installed for your use (ssh). Also, the above works on W2K. I
> >> can't
> >> speak to other platforms, although it should be generally applicable to
> >> NT-based platforms (with the possible exception of XP-Home).
> >>
> >> The rest is obvious, no? ;-)
> >>
> >> Larry

				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51