Re: Looking for named pipe solution in cygwin

Max, Cary,

One nit. See below.

At 10:21 2002-12-11, Max Bowsher wrote:
Cary Lewis <clewis@mobilecom.com> wrote:

> I have an existing unix application that makes extensive use of named pipes:
>
> mknod pipe p
>
> and shell scripts and 'C' programs that read and write pipes.
> Messages must be read in order that they were written to pipe. As
> well many processes must be able to write to a pipe and not have
> their messages intermingled.
>
> Does anyone have a solution for this for cygwin?

Unix named pipes / FIFOs haven't been implemented for Cygwin. No one has got around to it.

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> NOTE: The pipes don't have to be named (I can handle that separately).

I don't believe there is any way to have multiple processes write to an anonymous pipe.
They can if they have a process inheritance relationship whereby a descriptor to the pipe (or socket or plain file) was inherited.

> BTW the other posix emulators like Interix now SFU and MKS support
> these kinds of pipes, so it should be easy right?

As I said above, no one has gotten round to it.

> How does the /dev/ttyX file work.

Cygwin notices access to certain 'files' and does clever things with them. For more detail: "Use the source, Luke!".

> In a bash window I can echo hello
>> /dev/tty or /dev/ttyM, where M is my tty, and I get hello on my screen,
>> but I can't echo hello >/dev/ttyN where N is another terminal, I get
> /dev/ttyN invalid argument.

Strange - works for me.

Max.

Randall Schulz