Re: Force bash to start as administrator

Cary Lewis <clewis@mobilecom.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to start a bash shell as Administrator id=500
> regardless of who I am logged into the windows box as. Alternatively
> can I force cygwin to ignore the current user credentials and use the
> Administrator.

Cygwin simply uses the underlying NT security model in innovative ways -
i.e. if you want to start bash as an alternate user, the solution will not
be Cygwin-specific. Just use the inbuilt "Run as another user" functionality
in 2k/XP, or, find some kind of equivalent for NT4.

> I would like to be able to do this so that I can standardize my
> deployment of Cygwin, I would like any user to always get the same
> permissions, same home directory, etc.

I'm not conviced that what you propose above is the best way to go about it.
I mean, if the users have seperate accounts, that's presumably for a reason?

> BTW, how does login work in cygwin?

In normal local use, it simply isn't relevant. You login to Windows, and run
programs, which happen to be part of Cygwin. The only time the concepts of
"Cygwin" and "login" combine, are for remote login services such as ssh.
Even then, what is happening is that a program, which just happens to be
part of Cygwin, is mediating a standard NT login.

Max.