Re: A user friendly suggestion

The web archive mechanism provides a very useful "Raw text" feature.
FWIW, here's my procedure for reading/replying:

1) subscribe to cygwin-allow@cygwin.com (necessary to be considered
   subscribed to the list, you will not receive any actual messages)

For each message you want to reply to:

2) read the message
3) follow the "Raw text" link, select all and copy
4) open a bash shell, run

   $ cat | sed -e '1,/^$/s/ at /@/g' -e '1,/^$/s/ dot /./g' > message

   and paste the message followed by a Ctrl-D.  Make sure the message is
   smaller than 64k, otherwise an xterm/rxvt will hang - beware of
   attachments.  You can paste it into a text editor and copy/paste
   smaller chunks if necessary, or use a snapshot I posted to the list a
   while ago - http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-11/msg01593.html )

5) use your favorite mailing software, open or import the file 'message'
   (in mbox format), and reply.  I use pine with no problems.

The only gotcha is that the above shell line replaces every " at " by an
"@", and " dot " by a ".", which could be annoying if there's an "at" or a
"dot" in the subject (the former being more likely).  It is possible to
modify the above to accomodate that, but it's easier to just scan the
Subject: line and replace the "@" by an " at " if necessary.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51