From: linda w \(cyg\) cygwin@tlinx.org
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:02:16 -0800
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory
[and side comment on lists]

Hi, pretty new to the list though have been using cygwin for several months
now, first under win98, and now under XP.

        This may have been covered elsewhere -- sorry, but I
        doubt I will have enough time to read all the archives of
        all the lists despite what the warnings say about 'do your
        research for a day or two, first, then if you can't find the
        answer post it, and very often have your answer in 5
        minutes'.  I thought the power of networking was that you
        didn't have to do *everything* yourself, but you used a
        network of collective knowledge to do more in less time...if
        each of us had to write the cygwin toolset
        ourselves...sheesh!  But I know the 'sentiment' of having to
        rehash the same basic questions again and again -- different
        people have different levels of patience and tolerance for
        such.  Perhaps a 'newusers' list might allow for the
        repetitious beginner type questions with those with more
        patience staying on that list to answer possibly repetitive
        questions.  We don't have an "MVP" bonus-pat-on-the-head
        program like in the MS-newsgroups.  Sorta a smart idea of
        MS's -- reward users with 'recognition' as MVP's for helping
        newbies that might otherwise be asking those questions of MS
        support people.  A surreptitious way to recruit free
        helpdesk volunteers! :-)