Re: multiuser setup in cygwin

 Hallo!

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Daya Kiran Sunkara wrote:
> i am a novice to cygwin. i wish to setup a multiple
> users on my cygwin. i tried using mkpasswd to add
> users to the passwd file and did a 'passwd' to change
> the passwd.

 As cygwin is just a unix emulation layer on top of windows,
 it uses the windows user mangement system.

 You have to create or modify (change passwords) windows user
 accounts using the native windows tools for usermangement.

 The /etc/passwd files password-field is *only* used by Win9x!

 *After* adding/modifying user in the windows user managment,
 you have to update /etc/passwd using mkpasswd. Try
 "mkpasswd --help" for details. Also see /usr/doc/Cygwin/login.README
 on your cygwin installation or
 http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#MKPASSWD

    Bjoern