[FAQ?] Re: [Mingw-users] Cygwin Full download in one big archive?

Robert Collins wrote:
Some back-of-a-postcard sums:

monolithic install
577MB install.
1 update to a package a week,
1 new 577MB install file created each week.
longest period without updating - 2 months.

this would mean an average of ~280MB per month downloading updates.

modular install
577MB total download size
1 update to a package a week,
1 new modular install (avg ~5MB) created each week.
longest period without updated - 2 months.

this would mean an average of ~20MB per month downloading updates.

Seems pretty clear to me, that for anyone on a slow link, or anyone
charged by volume, that the modular install is much more efficient.
Faulty analogy. Most users would probably only download the monolithic tarball once, for their initial installation. Then use setup.exe and update things in a modular fashion after that.

Mebbe the FAQ could include "Can't I just download all of cygwin at one time without using setup?"

Sure. The easiest way is to get this (native windows) GUI port of wget:
http://www.jensroesner.de/wgetgui/ (The GUI)
which needs
http://space.tin.it/computer/hherold/ (the actual wget binary + ssl libraries)

[disclaimer: the software referenced here is not part of cygwin, not supported by us, talk to the authors of the programs if you have problems, yadda yadda yadda]

Install 'em, run the GUI ....

--------

If somebody (David?) writes up this FAQ, check http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-07/msg00600.html and
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-07/msg00595.html for more detailed info on this GPL'ed software and step-by-step "click here, type this there" instructions for using wGetGui to grab cygwin.