ssh/telnet

I have Cygwin installed at home. I used to telnet to my home machine and it would say:

Last login: Fri Aug 23 12:02:56 2002 from <ip address>
$

I have since turned off telnet and switched to ssh. I still get that same line echoed out about when I last logged in. Cool, except it still says Fri Aug 23th! IOW telnet somehow updated something so that that last logged in date would be correct. Apparently ssh isn't updating anything. Is this a bug? (Though admittedly a minor bug).