Re: Can't run Macro Express from within Cygwin bash shell

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:09:25 -0800 Jack Twilley <jtwilley@brightmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Michael> If it's a MSDOS/Windows executable, it won't know anything
> Michael> about Cygwin paths.  Getting backslashes (\) right can be
> Michael> rather tricky in a shell environment, so what I'd suggest is
> Michael> something like this:
>
> Michael>  # A DOS program won't understand Cygwin file specifications
> Michael> mex=$(cygpath -w -a
> Michael> /cygdrive/j/diesel/scripts/PerfmonMacros.mex)
>
> Michael>  # Use a Cygwin path for the shell to find the program
> Michael> "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/MacroExe/meproc" /F$mex
> Michael> /APerfMonInit
>
> Your solution works with a local bash shell but not a remote one.  Any
> idea why?  While logged in remotely, I can ls both the binary and the
> macro file, so it's not a permissions thing, or I don't think it is
> anyway.

What part is failing?
Is cygpath.exe running at all?
Is cygpath.exe converting the PerfmonMacros.mex path correctly?
Is meproc.exe running at all?
What happens if you try to run meproc.exe with other arguments?

Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html