Re: Problems using sshd as a service

First guess is that permissions on the keys are wrong.  Based on your
cygrunsrv line, I expect you are running the service as System, however,
when you start by hand, you are not System.  For sshd to work in those
conditions, you would have to own the key files.

Another possibility, related to the first, is that you are not using
ntsec in your CYGWIN variable.

If either or both of these cases are true, you can try the following to
fix your problem.

cygrunsrv -R sshd

cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd -e 'CYGWIN="binmode tty ntsec"'
export CYGWIN="binmode tty ntsec"
chmod 600 /etc/ssh/ssh_host*_key
chown SYSTEM:Administrators /etc/ssh/ssh_host*_key
net start sshd

After that you can also look at /var/log/sshd.log to see any errors from
sshd starting.  That should help you.

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, David Brown wrote:

> I am trying to get sshd to run as a service on my W2K SP2 machine.  I have
> got sshd set up properly (as far as I know), with all the keys and files it
> needs.  If I start a cygwin bash shell and type "/usr/sbin/sshd", then the
> server starts fine and issues no errors or warnings.  From another PC on the
> network, I can ssh in to this PC.  In other words, sshd is working
> perfectly.
>
> However, when I install it as a service with
>
>     cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd
>
> and then try to start the service, either with cygrunsrv or from the Control
> Panel, I get:
>
>     cygrunsrv -S sshd
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus: Win32 error 1062:
> The service has not been started.
>
> Looking with taskmanager, however, I see that sshd has been started fine - I
> have no problem logging into it.  So the sshd server has been started, even
> though Windows does not know it.  This leads to complaints during startup,
> and I can't use "net start" and "net stop" but must kill sshd manually if
> needed.
>
> Cygwin1.dll version 1.3.12 of 06/07/2002.
>
> Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>
> David
> Norway.
>

> "I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past."
> Douglas Adams
>

> --

Prentis Brooks	| prentis@aol.net | 703-265-0914 | AIM: PrentisBrooks
Senior System Administrator - Web Infrastructure & Security

       A knight is sworn to valor.  His heart knows only virtue.  His blade
       defends the helpless.  His word speaks only truth.  His wrath undoes
       the wicked. - the old code of Bowen, last of the dragonslayers