Re: cmd.exe as telnetd login shell: "mode con LINES=24 COLS=80" has no effect..

<why cmd.exe does not "understand" the window size>

Ross:

I talked to a support person at ataman.com about their
telnetd product.  My interpretation is that cmd.exe
has multiple (simultaneous?) modes of operation:

  o it can open STDERR/STDIN/STDOUT like a normal character
    based application.  This is the only mode that cygwin
    telnetd or sshd supports.

  o cmd.exe can write to a either the primary screen buffer or
    the alternate screen buffer.  These buffers are some
    how associated with a
    "set" consisting of the current mouse, clipboard,
    keyboard, and video card - the ataman support person
    indicated that this "collective unit" was represented
    by a virtual facility they instanciate called a "winstation".
    I'm sure a badly mundged concepts here, I envite corrections.
    Ataman only supports the primary screen buffer, but
    in general cmd.exe works as you would hope.

thanks/regards,
-- Tom Rodman
perl -e 'print unpack("u", "\-\=\$\!R\;V1M86XN8V\]M\"\@\`\`");'