Re: cygstart foo.pdf results in 'AcroRd32.exe has generated errors'

On 2-12-2002 23:57, Charles Wilson wrote:
Andre Srinivasan wrote:

I noticed sometime in August or September that I could no longer
invoke acroreader (v5.0.5) via cygstart or directly from AcroRd32 if I
wanted to view a document. If I do invoke either, I get a Dr. Watson
(which I've appended). On the otherhand, if I invoke IE and pass it
the file to open, acroread starts fine within IE.

I've appended the drwtsn32 file. Thanks.

The following works for me
(cygwin kernel version 1.3.17-1, W2k, Acroread 5.0.1 3/27/2001)
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 KHELDAR 1.3.17(0.67/3/2) 2002-11-27 18:54 i686 unknown

---- in ~/.bashrc (ignore stupid mailer-induced linewrap) ----
function pdfv ()
{
cygstart /d/Program\ Files/Adobe/Acrobat\ 5.0/Reader/AcroRd32.exe \"`cygpath -w -a $1`\" &
}
What's wrong with just

	$ cygstart whatever.pdf

?  ;-)

BTW, I don't see anything in your drwatson dump that implicates cygstart. Everything on the stack seems to be inside windows DLLs.
Any comments, Michael?
( Michael Schaap cygwin_start AT mscha DOT org )
Oh, wait, that's me! ;-)

I'm pretty sure that it's not cygstart related. Cygstart doesn't really do anything except tell Windows to start a program or open a file.

One difference between starting a program from Cygwin and from Explorer, is the environment, most notably the $PATH. This might cause different DLLs to be found.

Anyway, Andre also has problems when starting the reader directly, I assume from the start menu (i.e. Explorer). So, it seems that this is not a Cygwin problem at all.

That makes this problem off-topic for this mailing list :-) , but I would try the following standard Microsoft troubleshooting steps:
1. Reboot, and see if the problem goes away
2. Uninstall and re-install Acrobat Reader, and see if it goes away

HTH,

- Michael