RE: problem with chroot causing Cygwin to get confused about the root directory

Rolf, Chris,

Chroot is a very big club, indeed. Unless you've set up a separate execution environment (including binaries, libraries, configuration or auxiliary files such as those ordinarily located in /etc or /lib, etc.), very little will work after a successul "chroot" call.

Note that "chroot" is not a BASH built-in, but rather an executable command. According to the man page, it uses $SHELL (default "/bin/sh") to start up an interactive shell if no command is specified. Thus the diagnostic you report, Rolf, is to be expected if your SHELL environment is not set or is set to "/bin/sh." Once the root of the file system is set to the current directory, names like "/bin/sh" are unlikely to exist unless you've set things up to include them.

One place I see this done routinely is in public access FTP servers.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 15:32 2002-12-01, Rolf Campbell wrote:
When I try "chroot ." in bash I get:
$ chroot .