Re: no dice yet on .net server?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com>
To: "John Franco" <johnnyc@eskimo.com>; <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 5:20 AM
Subject: Re: no dice yet on .net server?

> At 11:08 PM 10/23/2002, John Franco wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I've installed cygwin on a Microsoft .Net Server machine (yes, a
> >"release candidate" build) just so that I can use bash, but it refuses
> >to run.  I've noticed the web page says 'The Cygwin DLL works with
> >all non-beta, non "release candidate", ix86 versions of Windows
> >since Windows 95, with the exception of Windows CE.'  Does that
> >mean cygwin deliberately checks the OS version and bails out if
> >it's not among those expected, or simply that you haven't yet tested
> >it on this OS and I've hit an incompatibility?
>

> This has been reported before.  If you're looking for details, check the
> email archives.  Cygwin, however, does not actively exclude any Windows
> version from running.

I witnessed a Microsoft lecture today where the speaker said over and over again that .NET is the answer to everything, including
all applications currently running on any OS, but they will NOT support anything which supports posix, although there may be a new
Interix in the works.  They invite anyone who is important enough to sign up for 3 days or a week of help in Redmond to get their
applications changed to a version which will run only on .NET and differentiate it from what could be done on linux [or cygwin?].
To me, at least, this looked like confirmation that they disfavor cygwin.

Tim
tprince@computer.org