Re: Window immediately disappears

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Michael D. Crawford wrote:

> After I was able to discuss the problem, we decided that something must
> have gone wrong during the installation.  Things worked normally once he
> got reinstalled.
>
> However, the installer hung the first time he tried to reinstall, and he
> had to kill the process with the windows task manager.  But the second
> time it worked OK.
>
> I have another question.  My client hasn't a clue about Unix.  He's an
> experienced computer user, and originally learned to program on a PDP-8,
> so he's been around computers for a while.
>
> Is there a good web page somewhere that will tell a newbie how to get
> around in the shell and instruct him on the basic things he might want
> to do in it?
>
> I wanted him to use cygwin so he could have cmp and od.  I've been able
> to talk him through that much.  But I think he would find it useful to
> know about bash and the basic utility programs as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

How about 'info bash'?  There's also quite a bit of useful info in the
Cygwin User's Guide ( http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html ).
Searching the web for a beginner's guide to unix might also help.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51