Re: cvs-1.11.0-1 fails to build

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> >> I'm having a problem building cvs-1.11.0-1.  GDBM_EXPORT is not
> >> picked up as a macro (which I assume it is, as it's used to declare
> >> functions), and this results in parse errors and gcc being generally
> >> unhappy.  I'm attaching the exact error message.
> >> This is probably because I have gdbm-1.8.0-4, and cvs lists
> >> gdbm-1.8.0-3 in its dependences, although Chuck Wilson apparently
> >> received no complaints during the test period (
> >> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-02/msg01333.html ).
>
> I ran into this problem, and solved it by backing out Chuck's gdbm changes,
> instead building cvs in its flat-file mode. I needed to do this so I had a
> cvs which could act on repositories created using this method.
>
> I don't know what you want to use it for, but unless you want to
> specifically want to use gdbm, this may be acceptable. As the cvs docs say,
> the performance gain is minimal unless you have a *huge* modules file.
>
> Attatched is Chuck's patch as included in the Cygwin source package, spilt
> into 2: cygupdate is general fixups, and gdbmify is the gdbm additions,
> which I backed out to build a cvs_flatdbm.exe which I keep in ~/bin.
>
> Max.

Thanks, Max, this looks like exactly what I need -- I just needed to build
a debuggable cvs for tracking down another problem (not in the gdbm
module).

When I have some time, I'll look into patching cvs to build with the new
gdbm...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51