Problems

I just installed Cygwin from the Internet, and things are very close to
working fine. I have run quite a few things successfully, but there are
three annoying problems, listed below, that I'm hoping have a simple
solution. I looked in your email threads and couldn't find a solution that
works for me.  FYI, I'm running Win2K Professional on a Toshiba Tecra 8200,
with 20GB disk (8GB free) and 256M RAM.

1) The exe files produced by gcc (e.g., even "hello world") are not
executable. I added set CYGWIN=ntsec in the
startup batch file, but that made no difference. I'm an administrator on the
system, so I have all
rights.  When I use the Windows Explorer to set the security of the file
a.exe to executable,
it runs fine, but that's hard to put in a makefile :-(

2) In trying to fix the above, I found that chmod doesn't work.
I get the following error message, no matter what switches I try to give it
(and I've tried a lot):
	$ chmod a+x a.exe
	chmod: changing permissions of `a.exe': Invalid argument
Perhaps these two problems are related, but together they make life quite
difficult. It seems
almost like chmod is not complaining about the syntax, not the inability to
set the attribute,
but of course that may be reading too much into the error message.

3) An apparently unrelated problem with Emacs: when I type C-x C-c to kill
(exit) Emacs, the
computer just beeps at me and does nothing. I have to do "M-x Kill Emacs",
which is a real pain.

Any ideas on these problems? It's probably just some simple configuration
stuff, but I've spent a few hours fiddling with it to no avail.