RE: File permission problems with new cygwin dll

> From: Christopher Faylor [mailto:cgf@redhat.com]
>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 11:09:31AM +1300, Ross Smith wrote:
> >I just upgraded to the new cygwin dll and gcc, and I seem to
> be running
> >into some of the same problems reported by others. (Yes, I know ntsec
> >is now enabled by default.)
> >
> >First problem: chmod doesn't work. Whenever I try to use it,
> I just get
> >"chmod: changing permissions of `foo': Invalid argument".
>
> As a guess, that would probably be an indication that your /etc/passwd
> is out of sync with your Windows account.  Rerunning mkpasswd
> may help.

Thanks. After some trial and error with the mkpasswd options, I
managed to get passwd & group files that worked.

However, I've had to revert to the old cygwin dll after all, because of
another bug. There's some strange breakage that makes redirection with
>> not work with non-cygwin programs.

If you take any command-line program that writes to stdout -- plain old
"hello world" will do fine -- compile it with gcc, and run it several
times with >> somefile, then you get a file containing several copies
of "hello world", as you'd expect. But if you compile it with Visual
C++ instead, then instead of appending to the file, it just overwrites
the beginning of the file every time.

This just started with the new dll, so it's something to do with the
changes between 1.3.12-4 and 1.3.13-2.

--
Ross Smith ...................... Pharos Systems, Auckland, New Zealand

This has been a test of the emergency broadcasting system. If this had
been a real emergency, we would have all fled in terror, and you would
not have been notified.