Re: Python support for Tcl 8.0

Jason Tishler wrote:
> I guess that when Python 2.3 is released, I will most likely have to
> drop support for the _tkinter module.

Please let's not. The BDFL's comments were based on the
assumption that Tcl/Tk 8.0 isn't being used, which is
clearly not true if Cygwin is stuck with it for a while.
Can't we ask them to keep the 8.0 special case for a
while, at least within #ifdef CYGWIN?

(I'm not entirely sure why Tcl/Tk is stuck at 8.0--I
thought Cygwin was supported through 8.2 or 8.3. But
that's another matter.)

If Tcl/Tk 8.0 support is dropped from Python, I hope
you don't do have to do anything to drop support in
Cygwin (i.e., it should automatically build without
it if Tcl/Tk 8.2+ isn't found). That way, those of us
that want to use it can simply rebuild Python after
updating Tcl/Tk.

-Jerry Williams