RE: Running Cygwin from a CD-ROM

Off the top of my head, no I don't recall a specific set of keywords that
will help.  However, last week's discussion can be found simply by searching
for "removable".  The initiating message is here:

This discusses removable media in general (rather than just read-only media)
but you may find some of this information helpful.  Most of the other
discussions about running from CDROM are quite old (at least to my
recollection) which probably accounts for why you don't run across anything
obvious in the first few hits.  But, like I said, there's not much magic
here.  The first approximation of this is to simply copy your Cygwin
installation to a CD, load the CD on your laptop, and use mount to point
to your CD something like:

   mount -s -b <CD drive> /
   mount -s -b <CD drive>/bin /usr/bin
   mount -s -b <CD drive>/lib /usr/lib

This doesn't take into account the potential need to be able to change
certain files though.  If you need this flexibility, then you'll want to
set up an installation on your home PC that has the files you need to
edit in a mounted file system and make the ones in the standard locations
symbolic links to those.  Then, on your laptop, you can create this mount,
make it point to somewhere on your disk, and copy versions of the
files there.  You can then edit these files and write them back to your
local disk yet still reference them in context of the installation on the
CDROM.