From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) [mailto:lhall@rfk.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2002 16:46
To: jmpurser@attbi.com; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Running Cygwin from a CD-ROM

At 12:08 PM 10/6/2002, John Purser wrote:
>Apologies if this is a much asked question.  I did not find it in an
archive
>search nor in the FAQ.
>
>I'd like to use Cygwin at work but am not allowed to install any software
on
>my computer (Windows 2000 Compaq laptop) nor am I likely to get permission
>to run any of that hated (virus prone, pornography related, system
crashing,
>etc.) free software.  So I'd like to set up a Cygwin installation on a
>CD-ROM for use when needed.  I don't need too much, mostly just some
>networking utilities (tcpdump especially) and python along with bash to
give
>me a useful shell and to keep me from getting that "Command not found"
error
>every time I type in "ls".
>
>I know I'm skirting the limits of the law here but honestly would you like
>to explain why you need Cygwin to a "system administrator" who doesn't know
>what FTP means?

No thanks.  I'll leave that to you! ;-)

So what's the question?  Are you asking if this can be done?  The answer to
that is - yes.  There have been many in the past that have wanted to do this
(including me).  The list saw a question about this as recently as last
week.
The key is to manage the mounts and the files that may need write access
(~/.bashrc, /etc/profile, /etc/passwd, etc).  So you might find another look
at the email list archives instructional if this is your question.  But
I don't want to jump to any conclusions on your request, since it's not
clear what request you're making, if you actually are.