init_cygheap::etc_changed: Can't open /etc for checking, Win32error

Hello,

I had the often mentioned problem with the init_cygheap::etc_changed
error when I moved my cygwin installation from my local NT 4 drive to a
Novell netware drive. I experimented a little bit and the problem is
definitely caused by the netware drive. As soon as I'm mounting /etc on
a netware drive the error occurs. Mounting /etc on a NT/W2K server (or
Samba server) works fine.

I guess the /etc directory with the group and passwd file needs to be
opened with special access rights or methods which are not available on
netware drives (at least for normal users). Switching off NT security
(CYGWIN=nontsec) doesn't help.

My goal is to make cygwin available to all NT users in the network
without the need to install it on every machine. The only thing that has
to be done before the first use is to mount /, /usr/bin, /usr/lib (and
/etc on a non netware drive). This can be done by importing the
appropriate registry keys under HKLM/Software/Cygnus Solutions/Cygwin
with regedit.exe.

Regards,

Christian Koessel

Gmuender ErsatzKasse GEK