Re: accessing shared drives when logged in via ssh

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:45:58AM -0700, Scott Evans wrote:
> > This is really a good thing.  Basically, the sshd daemon can not switch
> > user contexts within the domain without a password.  If that weren't the
> > case, a user with only local Admin rights could use ssh to become _any
> > user_ in the domain without ever providing a password for that user!
>
> I guess this is where things get a little funny -- Windows has a "domain
> administrator" while unix only has root on individual machines.
>
> In my case, I'm running on a workgroup and the shares on other machines
> are shared to *everyone*.  So it seems like I should indeed be able to get
> to them, regardless of who I am.

Everyone is not everyone :-)

There's a difference between shares which allow anonymous access and
shares which allow access to every authenticated user.  The latter
are demanding password authentication and therefore are not open to
processes under a non-password context switch.  Of course I don't know
which of them are used in your environment.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.