Re: Skel files

John Morrison wrote:

> > From: Earnie Boyd [mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com]
>
> Thanks Earnie, response is welcome :)
>
> > John Morrison wrote:
> > >
> > > Some of the files I have on my system which I believe could
> > > have defaults...
> > >

> > > .xinit                  Yes - But should be copied only by the
> > X11 package or perhaps RXVT.
>
> By copied I take it you mean packaged as part of a tar?  I agree,
> personally, I'd choose X11.

Maybe both.

> > > .xserverrc              Yes - But should be copied only by the
> > X11 package needing it
>
> Agreed.
>
> > > .pinerc                 Yes - But should be copied only by the
> > PINE package
>
> Agreed.
>
> > > .vimrc                  Yes - But should be copied only by the
> > VIM package
>
> Agreed.  I'm attempting (with this mail) to raise the profile (if
> you'll forgive the pun) of the skel capabilities.  I _definitely_
> want them to be part of the appropriate package! :)

You can create the /profile/skel for these and the package could copy if
they exist or provide it's own default.

> > > .bashrc                 No
> > > .bash_profile           No
> > > .inputrc                No
> > > .login                  No
> > > .logout                 No
>
> Why no?  Not even comments and example usage?  I (as a *nix
> newbie) didn't know these files existed, uses of or anything for
> ages.  I found them out either by accident or by viewing somebody
> elses system.  Even just a place holder with a comment as to
> what the file is for I would have considered useful.

Examples are fine.  Forcing the user to have them would be a pain, IMO.
It complicates the install process beyond what is needed.  These files
are for the user to modify there environment to their specific need, not
what someone else dreams up as a standard user environment.  The
standard environment should only be controlled by the /etc/profile, etc.
files.

Yes, you could argue that about the other files as well.  However, the
other files aren't as common and are more tool specific rather than
environment specific.

Earnie