Re: Permission denied on a windows share

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randall R Schulz" <rrschulz@cris.com>
To: "Jehan" <nahor@bravobrava.com>; <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: Permission denied on a windows share

> [ I hope someone who understands these issues better than I do will
correct
> me if I'm mistaken and / or misleading Jehan... ]

Randall, you are correct. ntsec emulates POSIX permission bits AND their
behaviour based on the underlying NTFS ACL and owner information for a given
file and directory. The emulation is pessimistic on access - so if the NTFS
permissions allow slightly less than a certain POSIX permission requires,
then that POSIX permission is not available to cygwin programs.

If Jehan wants the NTFS ACL to be the final arbiter of access, then ntsec
must be disabled.

IIRC cygwin reports based on the NTFS permission, but actually tries before
failing... but I suspect it's not consistent across the board on this.

Rob