Re [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: html tidy

From: Lapo Luchini <lapo at lapo dot it>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:20:03 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: html tidy

Well, good work, Lapo. I haven't installed the package yet btw (other
issues facing me that are priorities).

I worked a lot last week and this week on building HTML Tidy on Cygwin,
myself. When i say "worked" I don't mean that it was SO hard to do, but
I wanted a robust Makefile that I could drop-in for all future
revisions (untill they change something very large) of the source,
which seems to be under quite active development.

One question: did you not get a rather large number of compiler
warnings from the 2002-06-?? revision of Tidy? Worrisome. Lots of yucky
code in there.

Another question: would you consider building it with a compiled-in
configuration file path-name like "/etc/tidyrc" so that users can
maintain a system config file for Tidy, which I feel is a big help
given the large number of configuration options Tidy takes, which can
be very hard to recall to mind between one session invocation of Tidy
and another days or weeks later? To see what I mean look in platform.h,
I believe. If you do
#   '-DCONFIG_FILE='"/foo/something"'
on the make commandline, even without editing the makefile or the
platform.h file, you'll get that desirable behavior. [Pls excuse the
hash '#' at col 0, it's there because my funky web-emailer cannot
resist reformatting the line on 'send' if not, otherwise].

  Best Regards,
     Soren Andersen

--
http://fastmail.fm/ - Consolidate POP email and Hotmail in one place