Re: FW: Building a MinGW build of aspell without much luck :(

purpledinosaur wrote:
Hi all, I'm new to cygwin and mingw, and UNIX style development in
general hence I would really appreciate some help here. I'm trying to
build the aspell (http://aspell.sourceforge.net) win32 binary using the
mingw compiler in the cygwin environment but am getting some linker
problems.
I got aspell to compile with some work. I have separate mingw and cygwin installations on my computer. It has been a while, but I believe I set up my paths so that I was using the mingw gcc compiler, but the remaining tools (make, etc) were from the cygwin bin directory. The link errors you are getting are from aspell trying to use posix functions, which suggests you are compiling a cygwin version instead of a mingw version of aspell.

My notes (hopefully up to date) are as follows. You will have to change the prefix and bindir to suit your system.

CLEAN EVERYTHING
make distclean

NO DEBUG
CXXFLAGS="-O2" ; export CXXFLAGS
make -e

TO COMPILE A CYGWIN VERSION
PSPELL
./configure --disable-shared --disable-ltdl --disable-curses --enable-win32-relocatable --prefix=/cygspell --bindir=/cygspell

ASPELL
./configure --disable-shared --enable-win32-relocatable --disable-curses --prefix=/cygspell --bindir=/cygspell

TO COMPILE A MINGW VERSION
PSPELL
./configure --disable-shared --disable-ltdl --disable-curses --enable-win32-relocatable --prefix=/mev2/spell --bindir=/mev2/spell
make
make install

ASPELL
./configure --disable-shared --enable-win32-relocatable --disable-curses --prefix=/mev2/spell --bindir=/mev2/spell
make
make install

Although not is my notes, there is also the following step.
The pspell manual states that when compiling with --disable-ltdl, you need to manually link in the necessary modules by doing the following:

cd modules
./add-modules
cd ..
make