Re: Bash complete (tab) slowdown?

Randall, et al --

...and then Randall R Schulz said...
%
% BASH has hashing and provides some control over its operation:

How nice on both counts.

% BASH builds its hash as individual commands are invoked and found via the

Aha!  So I wonder if the original problem happens for running the same
command again or only the first time a command is tabbed out.  QQ, can
you confirm or deny?

% PATH. For Tcsh to know these "up front," suggests, if not implies, that it
% has to take the time to build that hash table which seems like it would

I believe it does, and I should think that you are right.  I haven't
tried any tests, though.

% slow down the process of starting up, unless it keeps some form of this
% hash in persistent (file) storage.

No, it definitely doesn't do that.

%
%