Re: Bash complete (tab) slowdown?

Larry, et al --

...and then Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) said...
%
% At 02:17 PM 5/31/2002, QQ wrote:
% >
% >My problem is this: when using bash's
% >complete feature (eg hitting tab key),
% >quite a time. This could be normal,
% >but problem is, that under tcsh
% >results appear immediately and without
%
% As for why this doesn't happen in tcsh, I can't say.  I don't know anything
% about tcsh.

tcsh builds a hash of all commands so that it can search quickly.
Fortunately, it's clever enough to see when a file disappears and to then
look for another version farther down the path, but it won't find a new
program unless you type "rehash" to rebuild it (or source your .cshrc,
which has all sorts of other problems but people love to do it anyway).

I can only figure that bash doesn't have such a hash table.  Given a path
setting of $PATH without executable 'x' in it, can you drop 'x' into
place and just run it or do you have to tell bash something like

  PATH=$PATH

(which I seem to recall having had to do under UNIX with 2.05a in such a
situation, but I could be wrong) to get it to take a look again?

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org