cygwin.com: cvs update instructions

Hi,

First let me apologize for my ignorance on cvs, as I have attempted to
clue myself in for awhile now, but there is still one area I am still not
quite sure on -- what I believe is called ampersand tags (is this right?).
 The tag I refer to is "winsup" in the sources cvs.  I have followed the
instructions to the letter on grabbing the sources on the first run, I
have no issue.  The issue arises when I try to update the sources.  The
cygwin cvs web-page suggests that I run "cvs update" to do so.  I had
initially run "cvs co winsup" in /usr/src, so I ran cvs update in
/usr/src, as I assume this is where I should run it.  No luck, it bombs
out with an error saying "CVS" can't be found (which makes sense to me).
Ok I switch to /usr/src/src/ and then run "cvs update", this time it
attempts to checkout other non-related source directories.  Now why is
this occurring?  Well I have in my .cvsrc "update -dP", because this is
necessary for my assistance on the kde-cygwin port (directories are added
to the cvs tree as new sources are imported, so the -d is necessary).  Ok,
so now I try "cvs update winsup" in /usr/src/src/ thinking this would
update only the files linked to winsup, unfortunately it only updates the
winsup dir itself.  Perhaps the solution on the cvs server is to name the
ampersand link "cygwin-src" rather then a name which coincides with a
directory name within that link?  I know other people out there are
syncing their cygwin tree on a daily basis, my question is how do you do
it?  I've never had so much trouble with cvs in my time using it, but I
guess the sources for cygwin and libraries are a bit of a special case.
You might say, well why don't you get rid of the -d, to which I ask what
happens when a new directory is added to the cvs sources?  I may be
missing something, but I honestly have checked the web but I can't seem to
structure my query in such a way that doesn't get me swimming in a sea of
results or gives no results at all.  I have tried the mailing list, but I
gather cvs update is too common a word as ht:dig times out each time.  So
yes I have tried to research this, but I'm overwhelmed by the massive
amount of info out there (so no need to point me to the faq or archives
please).  So I ask, is there an easier way then what I have been doing?
If so it would save me time as I have had to rm and then co the tree
every-time I want to get the new changes.  I suppose I could just edit my
.cvsrc each time or monitor the cvs mailing list and then do a "cvs update
<dirname>" on applicable changed directories, but again I say there must
be an easier way.  Anyone?

Cheers,
Nicholas