Re: registry question

John <lists@shell.reiteration.net> wrote:
> Is there a 'manual' way to setup that would not involve the setup tool?
> Are registry keys required for cygwin to work? or is there a workaround?

Yes - the mount table is stored in the registry and is required for cygwin to
operate correctly.

You could work around this by modifying cygwin.bat to install the keys run bash
and wait for it to finish, and remove the keys.
Messy, but it worked for me when I used to run cygwin on school computers.

At the time, I was using regedit, but you could probably come up with a better
solution with mount and umount.
Something like the _untested_ example below:

sh /etc/saved-mounts
bash --login -i
sh -c "mount -m > /etc/saved-mounts"
sh -c "umount -A"

I'm not sure if umount -A will completly clear the registry of cygwin traces.
Probably not, but nearly.

Max.