RE: registry question

I can think of one reason...portability.  Say you kept an install on nfs
and wanted to have access to it on any computer you went to.  It would be
handy in a university environment where you don't have access to/don't
want to modify the registry.  Of course I've never tried this personally,
but I'm sure others have.  As a possible solution, if you can access the
registry, you could find the keys that cygwin adds, then edit the cygwin
batch file to load/unload the keys as necessary.  In fact they did it at
my university to implement roaming profiles on 95/98.  I'm sure there are
other ways this could be achieved.

Cheers,
Nicholas