Re: crontab -e: error renaming tabs/tmp.000560 Permission denied

Jon LaBadie wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:51:34AM -0400, Christopher Cobb wrote:
> > I have successfully gotten cron working on my W2K system.
> >
> > However, because of permissions problems on the /var/cron/tabs directories, crontab
> > -e fails.
> >
>    snip
> >
> > At this point, if I use Windows Explorer to look at the properties on the cron
> > directory (Security tab), I get a dialog with:
> >
> >     You only have permission to view the security information on cron.
> >
> > For Everyone, the Allow and Deny columns are grayed out, and only the last four
> > entries are checked.  Full Control and Modify are unchecked and there is now way to
> > change them.
> >
> > For SYSTEM, they are all still grayed out but all are checked.
>
> Not a specific answer, but something I find impossible to believe about w2k.
> Remember I'm a unix person and this apalls me.
>
> While looking at the security panel, there is a button labeled "advanced".
> That leads to a 3 tab panel with "owners" being one tab.  In there you
> can change the ownership (at least to administrator), then go back and
> change the permissions to what you want.  Perhaps then you can reset the
> original ownership.
>
> --
> Jon H. LaBadie                  jcyg@jgcomp.com
>  JG Computing
>  4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
>  Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

Thanks Jon.  Your suggestion panned out.  But it required two visits to cron-->properties
from Windows Explorer.  The first was to change the owner (to Administrators or myself,
either worked).  I then had to OK all the way out.  I then did a properties a second
time, and this time the security properties were editable.

This made cron/tabs/* editable and crontab -e worked.

However, the next time I re-installed cron, the problem came back.

I think this is definitely a bug.

cc