RE: WINE and Cygwin

I think it would be useful for native Win32 programmers to be able to run Wine
on cygwin.

Some people won't run linux because they don't like it, don't understand it or
their employers forbid it or they can't spare the needed partitions or machines
for it, or they are just required to be running Windows for their daily work.
All these are some of the usual reasons people use Cygwin in general.

But being able to examine the source code to WINE would help Win32 developers
compete with Microsoft, by giving them information on how to use Microsoft's
undocumented API's.

I would imagine WINE would be just the thing for reverse engineering a lot of
applications, because you could set breakpoints inside of WINE-emulated system
calls to look at what the applications do.  You'd have much the same view of
third-party software that the engineers at Microsoft do.

I used to do that kind of thing at Apple, to determine whether application
crashes on new system builds were our fault or were bugs in the applications
that just hadn't been seen before.

Yes, you can do all this on Linux without the effort of porting WINE, but there
are many reasons why it would be useful to people to be able to do this while
running windows - for example to simultaneously use other development tools
that won't run under WINE because it's not all there yet.

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/