Re: try try again

perlspinr@att.net wrote:
> >Still hoping that someone will find this important
enough to answer.

> >An updated detail is that I can override the value
of "MACHTYPE" and
> >"HOSTTYPE" in Cygwin per se, but not in MSYS --
Earnie?  CC:ing you
> >this time.
>
> Again, this is *not* an Msys mailing list.  I find the
concept of a
> cygwin fork annoying enough without having to see
discussion of it here.

> If you have msys questions seek elsewhere.
>
> As to why it isn't i586 on your Pentium, after a
cursory glance at the
> source (gasp!), it's obviously because this was the
configuration
> triplet used to build bash.  Performing
complicated "what type of cpu is
> this?" checks is really not something I'd want my
shell to spend time
> on.  So bash apaprently wisely just provides
information based on whatever
> it was built for.
>
> If you need better information, use uname.

I need proper information for makefiles to get, and I
*am* using uname to get that info. It's wrong too (I am
NOT at that system this pm and cannot double-triple-
check that, but am very close to sure, and if I was
wrong I'll post a retraction/correction about it later,
when I've had a chance to re-check it, if I am not
banned from the List by then). I wouldn't have bothered
the List if the solution was as simple as that. At most,
I am guilty of guessing incorrectly that the shell
(BASH) variables would come from the same place --
somewhere in the guts of Cygwin1.dll -- that uname gets
those data. That kind of guessing isn't *lazy* and it
isn't flameworthy; it's an honest try at moving towards
the solution for the problem. Why I would be expected to
guess that you'd think it not worthwhile to have bash
check this in the manner you describe is totally
unpredictable by anyone with normal knowledge of things
Cygwin. Your notions of what's "normal" knowledge of
Cygwin are clearly completely out of touch with average
expectations, of course.

Frankly, to be OT for a moment, I am far beyond caring
what you find annoying, Chris -- although last I had
read from you about msys I saw no hint that you found
Earnie's project particularly objectionable -- and that
lack of caring goes (double) for Larry Hall too.

Chris, you are the most out-of-control egomaniac I think
I have ever come across on semi- and professional fora
such as this; your surly objections to things people
post and your irate condemnations for having the
temerity to ask, have completely departed from the
bounds of reason. I deliberately ignore threads like the
recent ad-hominum against you (last week+) because I
consider my time too valuable to me to waste on such
stuff, but I find myself now draw irresistibly to whole-
heartedly issue a long-deserved

    F U C K  Y O U.

and invite you to consequently ban me from "your" List.

You recently moaned that people create How-To info
pertaining to cygwin (the context was some tips on
setting up ssh on cygwin or related to that), on
external sites, rather than contributing to the material
kept at redhat.com/cygwin. Take a look in the MIRROR
next time you are moved to wonder about that. Your
extreme personality disorder is enough to make any but
the most hardy, abuse-insensitive soul decide to have as
little to do with "Cygwin Officialdom" as possible.

  With Apologies to (most) other readers,
      Soren Andersen

--------------------------

> >From:    perlspinr@att.net
> >To:      cygwin@cygwin.com
> >Subject: A small question on machine id
> >Date:    Sun, 26 May 2002 19:13:20 +0000
> >
> >The formal architecture triplet like:
> >cpu-company-os(-kernel)
> >
> >on my Pentium machine gives
> >MACHTYPE=i686-pc-cygwin
> >and it's the same in Earnie's current Msys cygwin
DLL -
> >based system as in Cygwin proper.
> >
> >I am wondering why?
> >
> >Obviously one would expect the shell variable value
to be