Re: cygwin ld is messing with me?

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 08:37:26PM +0000, perlspinr@att.net wrote:
>I won't forbear to mention that I thought about emailing Chuck Wilson
>privately about this because I know (from another List recently) that
>he knows a lot about how ld finds / resolves library searches when
>linking.  But I feel that wouldn't be fair to Chuck,

Yeah, and it doesn't scale, and if Chuck is on vacation, you won't
receive an answer for a long time, and it is against the oft-stated
policy on this and many other mailing lists.

>so even if it's going to result in typical cygwin list flames, here
>goes.  In public.

As opposed to a potential one-on-one flame from Chuck for bothering him
personally...

>My makefile causes the DLL to be named {cyggd.dll.a} which AFAIU is the
>"right" way, the Cygwin-packagers standard way, to name a lib that
>depends on the Cygwin1.dll rt (as opposed to -mno-cygwin stuff).

I'm assuming that your DLL is actually called "cyggd.dll", not
"cyggd.dll.a".  From the makefile, that seems to be the case.
"cyggd.dll.a" is the import library.

>The lib gets put into /usr/local/lib and of course the DLL itself goes
>into /usr/local/bin (BOY I sure hope nobody reading this needs to ask
>why or challenge it ...  that would be very OTPF [Off The Purpose For]
>this thread).  But ld (as run by master gcc) reports it cannot find
>"-lgd" and dies.

Changing your link line to:

  gcc -Xl,--verbose ...

should show what the linker is doing.