Cygwin ld is messing with me?

Hello,

I won't forbear to mention that I thought about emailing
Chuck Wilson privately about this because I know (from
another List recently) that he knows a lot about how ld
finds / resolves library searches when linking. But I
feel that wouldn't be fair to Chuck, so even if it's
going to result in typical cygwin list flames, here
goes. In public.

I have written a makefile to build GD-2.0.1 on cygwin
and it's working nicely for me

http://home.att.net/~perlspinr/makefiles/makefileworkshop
.html

-- in a few hours that url will show a link to the
makefile --

but for one point; once the libGD DLL is built and
installed in it's final desired location on the system,
ld cannot find it when it goes to build (final linking
to create .exes) the applications that Tom Boutell
includes in GD.

My makefile causes the DLL to be named {cyggd.dll.a}
which AFAIU is the "right" way, the Cygwin-packagers
standard way, to name a lib that depends on the
Cygwin1.dll rt (as opposed to -mno-cygwin stuff).

The lib gets put into /usr/local/lib and of course the
DLL itself goes into /usr/local/bin (BOY I sure hope
nobody reading this needs to ask why or challenge it ...
that would be very OTPF [Off The Purpose For] this
thread). But ld (as run by master gcc) reports it cannot
find "-lgd" and dies.

Any ideas, explanations?

   TIA,
    Soren Andersen (perlspinr)