Re: Transient corruption problem with fetchmail

Pete,

Sorry for the sluggish response time -- those pesky weekends, holidays,
and work are always getting in the way. :,)

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 01:42:37PM -0400, Pete McCann wrote:
> Jason Tishler writes:
>  > Pete,
>  >
>  > Please post to the Cygwin mailing list <cygwin@cygwin.com> instead of
>  > sending private email.
>
> Sorry, I just didn't want to bother the whole list if there was
> already a well-known solution.

But, this is one of the main reasons for mailing lists: a poster can
disseminate information "once," instead of having to repeat the same
thing over and over again.  At least, that is the ideal...

> [snip]
>
>  > Are you using the standard Cygwin fetchmail:
>  >
>  >     http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-05/msg01132.html
>  >
>  > or one built by yourself?
>
> I was using the standard Cygwin fetchmail 5.9.11-1 installed by
> setup.exe just last week.  After noticing the corruption problem and
> finding your patch, I went to download the latest sources from the
> fetchmail homepage.  I looked through socket.c, noticed there was
> already some Cygwin-specific stuff there, and did my own compile,

Are you sure regarding the "latest sources from the fetchmail homepage?"
Or, do you mean from a Cygwin mirror?  AFAICT, Eric Raymond has *not*
released a fetchmail version that contains my Cygwin recv(MSG_PEEK)
patch.

> making sure to set CFLAGS="-D__CYGWIN__ -O".

The above is redundant since Cygwin's gcc defaults to defining
"__CYGWIN__".

> I also noticed the configure script said "disabling SSL."

I believe that fetchmail's configure script will disable SSL support
unless the --with-ssl option is supplied.

> After compiling and installing this way, things seem to be working
> fine.

See below...

> I wonder, is the standard Cygwin binary compiled with
> -D__CYGWIN__ (I assume so)?

Yes.

> Something else, there doesn't seem to be
> any patching to the SSL-specific branch of the code in SockRead();
> perhaps my original installation was trying to use SSL.

No, see below...

> Has it been
> verified that the bug does not impact the SSL handling in the code?

Bingo!  Although I do not use fetchmail with SSL, I though that it
would be "nice" to enable this for other Cygwin users.  Unfortunately, I
did not notice that the code that I patched is duplicated in the SSL
#ifdef'd code.  Hence, all users using fetchmail 5.9.11-1 *without* SSL
will be affected.  I'm very sorry about this and I will release a new
fetchmail ASAP.

>  > [snip]
>
> Procmail is working just fine for me, after I made sure to remove all
> \r's from my .procmailrc...

I will note this issue in the READMEs and hopefully make procmail (and
fetchmail, if necessary) tolerant of text mode configuration files.
BTW, did you notice if fetchmail is already text mode tolerant?

I appreciate you finding these problems.  And, sorry for being a little
testy, but private email pushes my buttons.  You will find that as long
as you CC the appropriate list that I will be very helpful and responsive.

Thanks,
Jason