Re: Is cygwin Linux.

--- "Johansson Mikael (mj)" <mikael.mj.johansson@volvo.com> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I have two questions.
>
> 1. Is cygwin compatible for Sun OS, Solaris.
The others have answered this...

> 2. What is the relation between Linux and Cygwin.
>
> The reason I ask is that I wonder if a program placed on a
> computer with Sun OS can execute in cygwin.

If you are referring to running a Sparc binary on the IA32 platform, the
answer is it will probably never happen.  One of the biggest differences
is that Sparc binaries are bigendian while IA32 are little endian in
ordering.  This makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to create a
software emulator.  The best bet is to see if you can't recompile the
program, taking into account the architecture differences.  If it is a
closed-source program, see if there are any opensource alternatives and
then try compiling those.  If all else fails, reinvent the wheel ;).

> Thanks beforehand
>
> Mikael.

Cheers,
Nicholas