Re: vim losing file bug with :e#

On Sat, 11 May 2002, Greg Matheson wrote:

> ... I have 2 files open and switch back and forth between each
> with :e#. I start in one and switch to the other and write it,
> with :w and then switch back to the first. Then I change focus
> to another window.

[and the file was gone.]

It's just started happening again occasionally. It stopped (after I
reinstalled?), so I didn't follow up with this note from Bram
Moolenaar:

> To: Greg Matheson <lang@ms.chinmin.edu.tw>
> Subject: file no longer available
> From: Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net>
> Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 13:54:18 +0200

> The change of focus is needed to trigger the check for changed and
> deleted files.  This check remembers that it did the check to avoid that
> a program that continuously appends to a file causes the message over
> and over again.

> It seems that the "penpairs" file actually is deleted somehow, and Vim
> detects this only after you have written the file recently.
> This doesn't sound like a bug go me.  It might actually have something
> to do with the version being compiled with cygwin.  If the file really
> isn't deleted, please contact Corrina Vinschen, the maintainer of the
> cygwin version.

> If you want to avoid the message try using the FileChangedShell
> autocommand event.

> - Bram

> --
> Managers are like cats in a litter box.  They instinctively shuffle things
> around to conceal what they've done.
> 				(Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)

>  ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
> ///   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   \\\
> \\\           Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org           ///
>  \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///

Hey, I just found Ctrl-Shift-6 can be used to move between
buffers. The alternative for :e # is supposed to be CTRL-^,
which never worked for me, either on this Japanese IBM notebook,
or standard PC keyboard, with cygwin.

I'll have to try Ctrl-Shift-6 on the PC keyboard now.

--
Greg Matheson                Doing things right is doing the right thing.
Chinmin College              Doing things wrong is education.

Taiwan Penpals Archive <URL: http://netcity.hinet.net/kurage>