Re: Tcl

On Sunday 26 May 2002 17:05, David A. Cobb wrote:
> Background: I build a gcc 3.1 -- I don't yet know how successfully.
>  When I tried MAKE CHECK things didn't go too well because, I guess, the
> test suite depends on Tcl (and probably other stuff).
> So, I search around on my disk.  Hey!  Since installing Cygwin SWIG
> there's /lots/ of xxx.tcl files anyway.  But there's still no tcl.exe.
>
> Scratching my head and remembering I asked about Tcl once before and got
> curtly informed there was no current work with a port, I wasn't
> surprised it's not  here.  If I've misunderstood the situation, someone
> _please_ set me straight before I dive into deep water.

Since you've figured out already that discussion of tcl isn't popular here,
you should be looking at the archives and at your setup.exe options to avoid
senseless duplication.  The dejagnu and tcl which come with cygwin are
sufficient to run all of the gcc testsuite other than the libstdc, after you
correct the problems with the runtest script.  No, I don't know why the
runtest remains broken; I believe David Billinghurst has submitted the
necessary patches.
For libstdc, you need a more current version, which still builds "out of the
box," provided that you use the cygwin standard version of g++, not the new
one which you have built.  One more reason to be grateful for the cygwin
support of the older g++.

When you make remarks about the test suite not being fully functional, you
could be more specific.  The "dg" part of the gcc testsuite does fail when I
rebuild the cygwin binutils to support alignment, but that's the only lack of
full functionality of which I'm aware under 2K.  I suspect that it might not
run under win9x, but I don't know anyone with the motivation to attempt to
make everything bulletproof on discontinued Windows versions.  I gave up long
ago trying to run dejagnu on 9x.
Nor am I sufficiently enthusiastic about C++ or tcl to want to tackle the
port of tcl from libstdc++-v2 to a current libstdc, if that's what you mean.
I don't see that as a cygwin-specific problem; perhaps the opposite, since
cygwin is holding on to -v2 longer than much of the rest of the world, with
the exception of the dejagnu maintainers.
And don't say that I'm casting aspersions on the backwardness of cygwin; in
fact, I figured out today that the cygwin binutils is supporting the profile
feedback feature of gcc/g77-3.1, while the stock SuSE-7.3 binutils is not
sufficiently up to date.
--
Tim Prince