Re: Problem obtaining m4 binaries

At 11:53 AM 5/26/2002, Bob Calco wrote:
>Also (minor issue) my bash shell, installed to XP Home Edition, apparently
>can't find my user name. Instead of rcalco@CALCOLAP it says "I have no
>name!@CALCOLAP". Anybody else have this problem?

May I suggest looking at the email archives when you have questions about
whether other people have had similar problems to you with Cygwin?  This
list is where all problems are reported and discussed so it's real helpful
to the overall volume if folks do a little research first and avoid a
message like this if possible.

In answer to your question, yes, others have seen this problem.  I won't
attempt to summarize all the possible issues here but two common ones are:

   1. Your /etc/passwd and/or /etc/group files are incorrect.  mkpasswd
      and mkgroup should help here though you may want to review the email
      archives for issues if you're part of a domain.

   2. See "My Windows logon name has a space in it, will this cause problems?"
      http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC18