Re: cygwin/Perl and Win32:: package(s)

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

... material deleted

> Hmm, I don't think it is a good idea.  Cygwin Perl is completely
> different from the Win32 version.  It is another OS!  And all the OS's
> have their own Perl version with all the specials, VMS Perl, MacPerl,
> Win32, why not Cygwin too?

I'm not going to get into this issue now.

> It would be more effective to use all the Posix features we have thanks
> to Cygwin and kick out all the workarounds in the Win32 parts.  Just take
> the main parts.
>
> Also it will be a lot of work to convince the libwin32 maintainers to
> include all the special stuff for Cygwin.  I would like to have it
> separated from the Win32 hierarchy.

I intend to add as little special stuff for Cygwin as possible.

> >> I would like to test it with bleadperl because perl-5.6 is stable and
> >> hopefully soon we'll have a new perl, perl-5.8;)

In a day or so I should have something that you can try.

> > To get this hack to build "out of the box" requires some fiddles using
> > Makemaker which I have yet to sort out. I'll ask some questions about
> > this (like how do I set LDLOADLIBS in the Makefile) after I've got some
> > sleep!
>
> The Makemaker stuff is improved since perl-5.6.1 very much!

So you'll be able to tell me how to do it?

The sort of changes I've made so far to build Win32:: under cygwin fall
into the following groups:

i) Extended the mechanism in the libwin32 top level Makefile.pl which
enables excluding the building of Win32:: sub packages depending on $^O.

ii) Added conditionals to c source to stop WIN32 from leaking out of
cygwin's w32api/windows.h into source that wants to see __CYGWIN__ and
not WIN32. There are some other bits and pieces of this nature.

iii) Spilt perl-5.6.1/win32/win32.[ch] into 2 parts, the Win32 runtime -
Perl glue and the routines that provide the core Win32:: functionallity
ie Win32::GetLastError. Conditionally compile and link Win32core.c against
Win32.c of libwin32-0.18. This makes Win32:: behave as just another
package under cygwin, rather than being builtin as it is on Win32/Perl.

iv) Added LDLOADLIBS and MYEXTLIB settings to the Makefile in various
Win32:: sub packages, this needs to be done conditioned on $^O eq 'cygwin'
via Makefile.pl, but I've not worked out how to do this with 5.6.1 Makemaker
yet. ???

Clive