Re: cygwin/Perl and Win32:: package(s)

> I have been developing a Perl script under Linux and
cygwin (under Win 98)
> that is to run under a native version of Perl on a Win
2000 system.

> I have Linux and Win98 at home/work but not Win 2000.
Perl is 5.6.1 .

> I decided it would be nice to add code using
Win32::Registry to my Perl script
> and found that I could not get Win32::Registry (or any
of it's friends) to
> install under cygwin/Win98. So I (foolishly) started
looking into this.

Yes, I am curious, because at the start of your article
you explain that you were looking to code something (the
reader has no idea what) "to run under a native Perl on
Win 2000". Then suddenly you were working in CygwinPerl
which isn't native to anything but *NIX. What brought
that about? Does this change of direction just mean that
you wanted your Perl application to be more broadly
portable? Or did you actually decide to abandon
ActivePerl (I assume that your 'native Windows Perl in
ActivePerl) for some reason?

> I've got many of the sub packages to compile,link and
in some cases
> partially run. I've still got some work to do for it
to build "out of the box".

> Some of these sub packages will probably never build
under Win 98, some
> are of no use under cygwin.

I run Win98 as well as WinNT and I hope that they'll at
least run under Win98, if not build there.

> I have identified most of the problems in building
Win32::... under cygwin
> and found solutions for most.

That's a considerable achievement and you are to be
lauded for it.

> Is anyone interested in this sort of work,
particularly the cygwin Perl
> maintainer(s), I could do with some assistance and
guidance!

That would be Gerrit Haase, who I see from later follow-
up is interested, and I certainly am as well. I would
appreciate it if you could keep me informed, and if we
could collaborate on this work. I might not be able to
contribute test building effort right away as I am
throat-deep in getting ImageMagick and libpng to be very
Cygwin-amenable, but soon ... fingers crossed.

  Best Regards,
     Soren Andersen