Re: cygwin/Perl and Win32:: package(s)

> Yes, that would be a great contribution.  I think it should live at CPAN
> as a separate category similar to the Win32:: hierarchy named Cygwin::

I think it should remain named Win32::, it will be largely functionally
identical, having two differently named packages will lead to all sorts of
problems! I'll have a go at getting the libwin32 maintainer to accept my
changes when I'm done, otherwise it will have to be a separate package.

> I would like to test it with bleadperl because perl-5.6 is stable and
> hopefully soon we'll have a new perl, perl-5.8;)

I have managed to get Win32:: and Win32::Registry going under cygwin, and
have had a go at Win32::ODBC.

For Win32::, I took per-5.6.1/win32/win32.[ch] and split them into 2,
Win32.[ch] and Win32core.[ch] . Win32core.[ch] contains the code to
implement Win32:: functionality. I copied Win32core.[ch] to the top level
dir of libwin32 and built the Makefile. After much fiddling I managed to
get Win32core compiled and linked with the original libwin32 "boot" code.

I installed the resulting dll in the appropriate perl dir and moved on to
Win32::Registry . I hacked this till it compiled and linked. I installed
this and invoked the test script which reported no errors.

I added Win32::Registry code to my original perl script and have managed
to extract values from the Registry.

To get this hack to build "out of the box" requires some fiddles using
Makemaker which I have yet to sort out. I'll ask some questions about
this (like how do I set LDLOADLIBS in the Makefile) after I've got some
sleep!

Clive