Fascinating setup issues (?)

Just to clarify: This email is not about bugs in setup.exe.

I've just spent all evening re-installing cygwin from scratch on my machine
and I thought I'd share some of my excess fun with everyone else:

(BTW I'm using setup.exe version 2.218.2.9, if and where that's relevant.)

(*) The gdbm and readline packages should (but don't) require texinfo in
setup.ini, since both of these packages call install-info in their
postinstall scripts. Since both these packages are in the default download
set, and texinfo isn't, the postinstall phase of the default download (quite
silently) fails.

    There are several other packages that also call install-info in their
postinstall scripts and which don't require texinfo in setup.ini:
autoconf-devel, automake-devel, bzip2, enscript, gettext, gnugo, gsl,
indent, libtool-devel, nano, tetex, wget.

(*) The postinstall script for wget (version 1.8.1-1) tries to copy the
sample.wgetrc file from /usr/doc/wget-1.8.1-1, but the package only creates
a /usr/doc/wget-1.8.1 directory.

(*) The gdb package contains a full installation of Tcl/Tk, as per the tcltk
package. Thus if you uninstall gdb you lose Tcl/Tk without uninstalling the
tcltk package.

    More interestingly (?), if you install the new experimental copy of gdb
(20020411-1), it uninstalls Tcl8.0 and installs a copy of Tcl8.3. At this
point expect (as installed by the expect package, version 20010117-1) no
longer works since it requires Tcl8.0. So, you then have to re-install the
tcltk package (at which point you have both Tcl8.0 and Tcl8.3 installed).

    (The new gdb appears to work after this sequence of installations but
I've yet to use it in anger.)

(*) Altho' I said I wasn't going to mention any bugs in setup.exe (and I'm
NOT going to mention the repeated blue screens of death it's giving me on
w2k), I will mention a pretty innocent GUI one:

    On the category view screen, change the action for 'All' from default to
something else, e.g. 'Reinstall'.
    Cycle through the various views until you're back at the category view.
    The action for 'All' is still shown as 'Reinstall', for example, but all
the other categories are back to showing 'Default' as their action.

(*) And I WON'T mention the THREE blue screens I've had from setup.exe. So
that's not a problem :-) (or, at least, not a problem for anyone but Mr
Gates, I assume.)

(*) I think that this is due to the "Can't open (null) for reading" but
asking to install the category 'All' doesn't seem to install *all* of the
packages (e.g. on one run it skipped compface, gperf, keychain, m4, regex,
and setup).

(*) And that's it for tonight's show folks. Have a nice day.

// Conrad