Re: Adding col to cygutils.

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:14:27PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>
>>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>>Why are you contributing to cygutils rather than cygwin itself?
>>>
>>Actually, Chris, I think col *does* belong in cygutils.  On linux, it is
>>found in the util-linux package -- a random grab bag of lots of small
>>and useful, or small and not-so-useful, or small but
>>totally-cygwin-inappropriate programs.
>>

> I am trying to force this kind of justification when someone suggests
> that something go into cygutils.
>
> Obviously cygutils is your package.  Maybe you feel comfortable doing
> the thinking for people who want to add something to your package
> but I'd prefer that there be some kind of discussion on why a tool does
> not belong in the main distribution as part of the initial suggestion.

Agreed.  I thought that dawillis actually *started* that discussion, and
you were objecting to his point:

dawillis wrote:

>>  The
>>cygutil package seemed to be the appropriate location since other BSD
>>derived utilities, such as cal, are packaged there.

So, since I knew  -- and no one else was privy to this knowledge -- that
I had originally planned to include col *myself*, I provided *my*
reasoning for including col in cygutils.  (Since you didn't seem to like
dawillis's reason -- or perhaps you missed it?)

> Otherwise, I will never be convinced that people aren't suggesting
> adding things to cygutils because it seems somehow "easier" to do this
> than submit a real package.  Either that or they just don't understand
> that it is relatively easy to get a package into the main cygwin
> distribution.

Both points are probably true, and your vigilance against them is
appreciated (if possibly unwarranted in this particular case).

--Chuck