Re: Problem running g77,etc

At 09:24 AM 5/22/2002, John Macallister wrote:
>I've installed cygwin (current version from www.cygwin.com ) (1.3.10-1 ?) on
>a Windows2000 system. I then installed the Mumit Khan distribution of gcc
>(2.95.2).
>When I try any of the compilers I get the message (for example with g77) :
>
>$ g77 gtest.for
>g77: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
>
>Anyone know what how what's wrong and how to get round this? The Mumit Khan
>distribution of gcc was the only one for Windows which I could find.
>
>The cygwin installation went through automatically and appears to be OK.
>Some of the details of the gcc installation were different but I copied the
>/.../lib and /.../bin files into the appropriate /usr/lib and /usr/bin
>directories. Perhaps there's another gcc distribution for Windows?

What's wrong with the one that comes with Cygwin?

Your problem is that you did not install the 'binutils' package or Mumit's
installation is configured differently so it can't find 'binutils'
utilities that are installed.  This is really a question for Mumit though
if you plan to make use of his gcc distribution.  This list is for questions
about the Cygwin environment and utilities as provided by www.cygwin.com.