Re: Problem on starting PostgreSQL

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Vernon Wu wrote:

> I am very new to cygwin. After installed cygwin successfully, I can't get the PostgreSQL up so far. Here is what I have:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> $ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
> The program
>     '/usr/bin/postgres'
> needed by initdb does not belong to PostgreSQ
> there may be a configuration problem.
>
> This was the error message issued by that pro
> /usr/bin/postgres: invalid current euid 500
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> There is not the data directory under the /usr/share/postgresql. I don't have enought knowledge to tell where it should
> be there or not. I have spent some hours doing research and can't find a solutation so far. What I miss? Please help me
> out.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> v.

Vernon,

	look in the file /usr/doc/postgresql-7.2.1/INSTALL it tells you
exactly what to do.  I can see from the above that you've missed at least
2 of the required steps out, create a user postrges and create the
directory /usr/share/postgresql/data and then set the permissions to be the
same as who will start initDB, this should be postgres but can be
Adminisrtator providing you set the permissions correctly.

HTH,

Jim