Re: pine dumps core on exit

*** Scott Evans (gse@antisleep.com) wrote in cygwin today:

:) I just updated to the lastest Cygwin and figured I'd try pine.
:) It looked to be working well until I exited, at which point I got
:) this error:
:)
:) | Problem detected: "header size inconsistent".
:) | Pine Exiting.
:) | Aborted (core dumped)
:)
:) ... and pine exited, leaving my INBOX kind of corrupted.
:) [snip]
:) Anyone else seeing this?  Any ideas what's going on?  When I install
:) Cygwin I choose "DOS" as the default file type but I've never known
:) what that actually *does* (and I probably have no reason to choose it);
:) I guess it's possible that my troubles relate to whatever setting
:) results from that.

The diagnosis of your problem is correct. Your problem comes from the fact
that you have chosen "DOS" over "UNIX". You will need to change it "unix".
This is one of the symptoms of the error. Your addressbook should not be
working either. Pine needs those "\n", over "\r\n". Please notice that
this may require you to restart Pine from scratch (new .pinerc,
.addressbook, etc).

Is there a way to know if a user is using DOS instead of UNIX in their
installation? I would be insterested in looking into this, although it may
be a major change in Pine.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/